ONE OF THE things that impresses most of us as we grow older is how many nice people there are in this world. Even people we used to find annoying or downright irritating don’t seem to bother us so much.

We discover that many of the ones we didn’t particularly like really aren’t as bad as we thought. Maybe you and I are a little smarter than we used to be? We have begun to understand why prickly pears are prickly and now we make allowances for them.

Other people appreciate the change in the way we react to them and it makes them more friendly toward us. Taking this tack, we have found, makes for smoother sailing. Life becomes friendlier and more enjoyable.

You learn to forgive and forget. Those who don’t learn this miss out on the warmth and friendships they might enjoy. Everyone basically wants the same things. They want a way to support themselves, their families and to live without fear. They want a healthy family.

The world news seems to be all about strife, turmoil and hatred. People are out to settle old scores. An estimated 65 million people are on the move. They are in search of a safe place to start over and live in peace.

Why does there need to be so much violence and chaos? There should be ways for all to get along. My guess is, if you take any traditional family (husband, wife and children) and ask them what is it they want, they would all give the same answer.

They want a safe place to call home, enough food to eat, work that means something, good health and hopes of a better future. This would satisfy 95% of the people in any country. It is the other 5% who cause the trouble.



*  *  *

WHY IS it getting harder to get along with our fellow friends and neighbors? Here is a thought.

No matter who you are, no matter what you do or say about anything, most people won’t agree with you entirely and many will believe you have it all wrong.

You may have a great idea, you may be an unqualified success, you may have a 40-year career doing something with incredible results, but a majority of the people around you will think you are just average and they could have done the job better.

You may be in a room with 100 of your very best friends, but if you start talking about gun control, the plight of health care, the fairness of the tax system, job and income equality, gender and political issues, the way the Green Bay Packers are coached or the quandary of the immigration crisis, those dear friends will have very different opinions.

You could have been the purchasing agent for a billion dollar company and have negotiated thousands of deals with hundreds of suppliers, but the minute you go to a furniture store with your spouse to buy a new $1,500 sofa, your spouse will say to you “Honey, you better let me do the talking.”

What is your spouse saying? All of a sudden, you’e not qualified to buy a sofa.

We see it every day. Everybody is an expert, has an opinion. Everyone is a “Monday morning quarterback.” We feel entitled to second-guess every decision.

The average Joe on the street wants a say in all the issues and believes they could do a better job than the professionals, even how the experts negotiate complicated international treaties.



*  *  *

AS YOU plan for your golden years, here is something that is keeping many awake at night.

According to Fidelity Investments, a typical couple retiring this year at age 65 will pay $280,000 for health care (beyond what Medicare covers) the rest of their lives.

That’s a 75% increase over the $160,000 needed in 2002. If you’ve thought a supplemental policy is an option, you may want to rethink that.



*  *  *

I FOUND this interesting. In 2016, 64 million people or 20% of the U.S. population, lived with multiple generations under one roof, according to the Pew Research Center.

In 1980, a record-low 12% of people lived in multigenerational households. The 20% figure was last seen in the 1950s.

Pew defines a multigenerational household as having two or more adult generations including grandparents or grandchildren younger than 25.

It’s not all about millennials. Much of the increase is attributed to the number of Hispanic and Asian families, which are likely to be multigenerational.

This trend is not all bad according to the experts. Research shows that living with other generations has physical and mental-health benefits. The benefits go both ways and people living in those conditions have lower premature mortality than those living on their own.