This historic photo shows the original Camp Luther lodge and dining hall, the center of activity at the busy camp in Three Lakes from 1946 to present.                —Contributed Photo
This historic photo shows the original Camp Luther lodge and dining hall, the center of activity at the busy camp in Three Lakes from 1946 to present. —Contributed Photo
Groundbreaking ceremonies were held Sunday, Sept. 1, at Camp Luther in Three Lakes for a new dining facility. 

Approximately 175 people gathered for worship followed by groundbreaking ceremonies. The Rev. Dwayne Lueck, president of the North Wisconsin District Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS), delivered the message titled “Grace Place.”

Ground was broken and consecrated as a place of ministry and the sharing of the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the Rev. Steve Hulke of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Stevens Point, officiating.

The two-level, 15,000- square-foot facility will house expanded dining, kitchen and educational spaces. Donors have pledged more than $2.6 million toward the project. Construction will begin in late September. 

Participating in the groundbreaking were the Rev. Dwayne Lueck, North Wisconsin District LCMS; Terry Hanstedt, chair, Camp Luther board of directors; Anne Hartman, chair, Campaign Steering Committee; and Gary “Woody” Vought, executive director, Camp Luther.  

Camp Luther is a ministry of the North Wisconsin District of the LCMS. Its mission is “Building up all people in Christ for service and witness to the world.” 

More than 6,000 people from Wisconsin and the Midwest visit Camp Luther annually and participate in youth camps, family camps, retreats and conferences. People can visit camp­luther.com for information on how to participate, donate or volunteer. 

 

Lodge history

The Camp Luther Lodge and Dining Hall was decommissioned Sept. 1, 2019, in preparation for the new dining hall at the camp. 

According to the book, “The Pine, the Plow, and the Pioneer,” the lodge was built in the early 1900s by Fred Luderus, friend of Cy Williams. 

The original resort was called “HyMont” and hosted the North Woods winter carnival, including a ski jump, in the mid-1920s. The resort was later lost in bankruptcy.

It was then purchased by the Roth family, who re­named the resort “Rothmoor Lodge.” It also was lost in bankruptcy. 

In the spring of 1946, the facility was purchased by the North Wisconsin District of the LCMS and established as Camp Luther.

The lodge was a center of activity at Camp Luther from 1946 to today. It housed hundreds of families and staff over the years. In 1948, a small dining hall was added to provide meals for summer campers, and in 1979 the existing dining hall was added to meet the needs of the growing camp.

The lodge was remodeled several times over the years to better serve the camp. Items of historical value are being retained to incorporate into the new facility.